Wednesday, July 20, 2011

I'm not okay...

Since Frances made her decision about her life support, everyone has been asking me how I'm doing.  I half smile/half grimace and say I'm okay.

I'm lying.  I'm not okay.

I'm hurting inside.  I feel like the ground has been pulled out from under my feet.  I can't sleep the night through, and the day is done on auto-pilot.

Everyone says call me if you need something, call me if you need to talk, but I can't.  I can't put into voice the words to explain what I need, what I'm feeling.  Even typing this out, I'm writing and rewriting, trying to get all of my thoughts out in a coherent manner.

I just want simple things.  I want to be held, to know I can get comfort from somewhere.  I want to be able to share my grief and not feel like I have to hide behind a happy mask.  I want to know that I'm needed for more than being the one who takes care of everything so other people don't have to worry.

I don't want you to tell me it's going to be alright, that it's all going to work out in the end.  I don't want to feel like I'm doing something wrong. I don't want to feel guilty for putting myself first every once in a while.

Lately though, it seems like all I'm getting are the things I don't want. 

And so I half-smile and say I'm okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment